LalBrew Köln is ideal for brewing traditional Kölsch-style beers and other neutral ales. The neutral character of this strain accentuates delicate hop aromas while imparting subtle fruity esters. Through expression of a beta-glucosidase enzyme LalBrew Köln can promote hop biotransformation and accentuate hop flavour and aroma. Colder fermentations will be more neutral in character, while warmer fermentations will have more fruit-forward ester profile.
In Standard Conditions Wort at 20°C LalBrew Köln yeast exhibits:
- Fermentation that can be completed in 7 days, a bit slower than most ale strains. This is perfectly characteristic of this strain.
- Medium to High Attenuation and Medium Flocculation
- Neutral to slightly fruity and estery flavour and aroma
- The optimal temperature range for LalBrew Köln yeast when producing traditional styles is 15°C to 22°C
- Lag phase can be longer compared to other ale strains, ranging from 24-36 hours
- Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavour are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort.
Available in 11g sachets.